Dr Katherine Gordiev is a Specialist Orthopaedic Surgeon with expertise in Shoulder and Upper Limb surgery. She has over 20 years experience in Orthopaedic surgery and has been in private and public practice in Canberra for the last 15 years. Her aim is to restore function, alleviate pain, and to inform and care for her patients through that process.
COVID-19 Pandemic Notice: (April 2020)
- Dr Gordiev's practice is open for appointments and management of urgent and non-urgent upper limb injuries and problems at this time
- In addition to face to face consultations, Dr Gordiev is offering video or phone consultations
- Telehealth will permit delivery of the essential diagnostic process, advice, management and planning for elective surgery to be performed at an appropriate time in the future
- The availability of elective surgery will be restricted during the pandemic response
- Urgent surgery for many fractures, dislocations, certain tendon tears and other trauma will still be necessary during this time
- This can be performed on site at National Capital Private Hospital or triaged in the safest and most appropriate way as part of the broader Territory response
In addition to her General Orthopaedic speciailisation, Dr Gordiev’s subspeciality training encompasses treatment of the shoulder, elbow, wrist and hand as follows:
- Fractures and dislocations
- Rotator cuff tendon and biceps arthroscopic and open repair
- Repair of tendons around the elbow, including biceps, triceps and tennis elbow tears
- Reconstruction for shoulder instability, arthroscopic and open, including the Latarjet procedure
- Replacement for Arthritis of the shoulder, by Total Shoulder Replacement, (Reverse and Anatomic) and Hemiarthroplasty
- Hand surgery for carpal tunnel, tendinitis, triggering, ganglions and other conditions
- Dr Gordiev uses 3D computer planning and patient specific instrumentation whenever they are likely to assist in achieving the optimal surgical outcome.
- Her practice encompasses treatment of athletes from amateur to professional.
Education, Training and Practice locations. Dr Gordiev:
- Graduated in Medicine and Surgery from the University of Sydney with First Class Honours and the Sir John Loewenthal Prize in Surgery from the Royal Prince Alfred Hospital (1993)
- Completed her Specialist Orthopaedic Training in Sydney and Canberra
- Obtained Fellowship of the Royal Australasian College of Surgeons (2003) and Fellowship of the Australian Orthopaedic Association (2004)
- Undertook Specialist training in Shoulder and Upper Limb Surgery during a 15 month Fellowship at The Cleveland Clinic, Ohio, USA, with Professor Joseph Iannotti and Dr John Brems (2004-05)
- Commenced practice in Canberra in 2005 and gained Membership of the Shoulder and Elbow Society of Australia (2006)
- Is a Visiting Medical Officer at the National Capital Private Hospital, Canberra Private and Calvary John James Hospital
- Is a VMO in Orthopaedics with ACT Health, providing surgery to public patients through Calvary Hospital
- Is a current member of the AOA CPD Committee
- Participates in the teaching of Orthopaedic Registrars and ANU medical students.
- Was Joint Chair of the Orthopaedic Department at Calvary Public Hospital (2008 -2016)
- Was a Director on the Board of the Australian Orthopaedic Association (2008-2012) and the Australian Medical Association (2008-2012)
Please contact Dr Gordiev's staff with your enquiry or to make an appointment in person or via Telehealth or Telephone.
Please note that a referral from your GP or another specialist is required for an appointment.