Dr Katherine Gordiev is a Specialist Orthopaedic Surgeon with expertise in Shoulder & Upper Limb surgery. She has over 20 years experience in Orthopaedic surgery & has been in private
& public practice in Canberra for the last 15 years. Her aim is to restore function, alleviate pain, & to inform & care for her patients through that process. Welcome to her
website. We hope that you find it informative.
COVID-19 Notice: (October 2020)
- Completion of a COVID questionnaire, a temperature check & hand sanitisation are performed on entry to the hospital building.
- Social distancing measures, hand hygiene & regular cleaning of surfaces are employed at the practice.
- In addition to face to face consultations, telehealth & telephone consultations are available.
In addition to her General Orthopaedic speciailisation, Dr Gordiev’s subspeciality training encompasses treatment of the shoulder, elbow, wrist & hand including:
- Fractures & dislocations
- Rotator cuff tendon& biceps arthroscopic & open repair
- Repair of tendons around the elbow, including biceps, triceps & tennis elbow tears
- Reconstruction for shoulder instability, arthroscopic & open, including the Latarjet procedure
- Replacement for Arthritis of the shoulder, by Total Shoulder Replacement, (Reverse & Anatomic) & Hemiarthroplasty
- Hand surgery for carpal tunnel, tendinitis, triggering & ganglions.
- Dr Gordiev uses 3D computer planning & patient specific instrumentation whenever they are likely to assist in achieving the optimal surgical outcome.
- Treatment of athletes including amateur, professional & ADF.
Education & Training: Dr Gordiev:
- Graduated in Medicine & Surgery from the University of Sydney with First Class Honours & the Sir John Loewenthal Prize in Surgery from the Royal Prince Alfred Hospital (1993)
- Completed her Specialist Orthopaedic Training in Sydney & Canberra (1999-2002)
- Obtained Fellowship of the Royal Australasian College of Surgeons (2003) & Fellowship of the Australian Orthopaedic Association (2004)
- Undertook Specialist training in Shoulder & Upper Limb Surgery during a 15 month Fellowship at The Cleveland Clinic, Ohio, USA, with Professor Joseph Iannotti & Dr John Brems (2004-05)
- Commenced practice in Canberra (2005) & gained Membership of the Shoulder & Elbow Society of Australia (2006)
- Is a Visiting Medical Officer at the National Capital Private Hospital, Canberra Private & Calvary John James Hospital
- Is a VMO in Orthopaedics with ACT Health, providing surgery to public patients through Calvary Hospital
- Is a current member of the AOA CPD Committee
- Participates in the teaching of Orthopaedic Registrars & ANU medical students.
- Was Joint Chair of the Orthopaedic Department at Calvary Public Hospital (2008 2016)
- Was a Director on the Board of the Australian Orthopaedic Association (2008-2012) & the Australian Medical Association (2008-2012)