Dr Katherine Gordiev is a Specialist Orthopaedic Surgeon with expertise in Shoulder & Upper Limb surgery. She has over 20 years experience in Orthopaedic surgery & has been in private
& public practice in Canberra for the last 15 years. Her aim is to restore function, alleviate pain, & to inform & care for her patients through that process. Welcome to her
website. We hope that you find it informative.
In addition to her General Orthopaedic speciailisation, Dr Gordiev’s subspeciality training encompasses treatment of the shoulder, elbow, wrist & hand including:
- Fractures & dislocations
- Rotator cuff tendon& biceps arthroscopic & open repair
- Repair of tendons around the elbow, including biceps, triceps & tennis elbow tears
- Reconstruction for shoulder instability, arthroscopic & open, including the Latarjet procedure
- Replacement for Arthritis of the shoulder, by Total Shoulder Replacement, (Reverse & Anatomic) & Hemiarthroplasty
- Hand surgery for carpal tunnel, tendinitis, triggering & ganglions.
- Dr Gordiev uses 3D computer planning & patient specific instrumentation whenever they are likely to assist in achieving the optimal surgical outcome.
- Treatment of athletes including amateur, professional & ADF.
Education & Training: Dr Gordiev:
- Graduated in Medicine & Surgery from the University of Sydney with First Class Honours & the Sir John Loewenthal Prize in Surgery from the Royal Prince Alfred Hospital (1993)
- Completed a Clinical Clerkship in Orthopaedics at Harvard Medical School (1992)
- Completed her Specialist Orthopaedic Training in Sydney & Canberra (1999-2002)
- Obtained Fellowship of the Royal Australasian College of Surgeons (2003) & Fellowship of the Australian Orthopaedic Association (2004)
- Undertook Specialist training in Shoulder & Upper Limb Surgery during a 15 month Fellowship at The Cleveland Clinic, Ohio, USA, with Professor Joseph Iannotti & Dr John Brems (2004-05)
- Commenced practice in Canberra (2005) & gained Membership of the Shoulder & Elbow Society of Australia (2006)
- Is a Visiting Medical Officer at the National Capital Private Hospital, Canberra Private & Calvary John James Hospital
- Is a VMO in Orthopaedics with ACT Health, providing surgery to public patients through Calvary Hospital
- Is a current member of the AOA CPD Committee
- Participates in the teaching of Orthopaedic Registrars & ANU medical students.
- Was Joint Chair of the Orthopaedic Department at Calvary Public Hospital (2008 2016)
- Was a Director on the Board of the Australian Orthopaedic Association (2008-2012) & the Australian Medical Association (2008-2012)